What is Paperstone?
Paperstone countertop is an environmentally-friendly surface material renowned for its unique composition of recycled paper fibers and a petroleum-free resin. Through a process of intense pressure and heat, these components are transformed into a durable and visually appealing countertop. Not only does Paperstone provide a distinctive aesthetic with its rich, matte finish and variegated texture, but it also offers exceptional sustainability by repurposing paper waste and reducing reliance on fossil fuels. This makes Paperstone countertops an attractive choice for eco-conscious individuals seeking both a stylish and responsible option for their kitchens and other spaces.
Paperstone countertops are celebrated for their exceptional sustainability, making them a popular choice among environmentally conscious consumers. Crafted from a blend of recycled paper and a non-petroleum-based resin, these countertops epitomize the concept of repurposing materials to create functional and aesthetically pleasing surfaces. By diverting post-consumer paper waste from landfills and incorporating it into their composition, Paperstone countertops help reduce the strain on natural resources and minimize the carbon footprint associated with traditional countertop materials. Additionally, their durability and longevity further amplify their sustainable appeal, as they require less frequent replacements and contribute to a decrease in overall consumption. As a symbol of innovation and responsible design, Paperstone countertops stand as a testament to the potential of transforming discarded materials into sustainable and stylish solutions for modern living.
Paperstone's ease of installation sets it apart as a user-friendly countertop option. Its manageable weight and consistent composition facilitate straightforward handling, allowing installers to work efficiently.
The material's uniformity eliminates the need for specialized tools or complex techniques, simplifying the installation process. Its adaptability to various settings, whether for kitchen counters, tabletops, or bathroom vanities, ensures versatility in application. Furthermore, Paperstone's compatibility with standard woodworking tools and methods streamlines the installation, making it accessible to both professionals and skilled DIY enthusiasts. Overall, Paperstone's simplicity in installation not only reduces labor time and costs but also underscores its appeal as an accessible choice for transforming spaces with sustainable and aesthetically pleasing surfaces.
One of the things that sets Paperstone appart as a countertop is it's ability to be refinished. Refinishing Paperstone countertops should be done carfully as it involves maintaining the integrity of the surface while restoring its appearance. Since Paperstone is a composite material made from recycled paper and resin, it's important to approach refinishing with care to avoid damaging the surface or compromising its sustainability.
Here are some general steps to consider when refinishing Paperstone countertops:
- Clean the Surface: Start by thoroughly cleaning the countertop surface to remove any dirt, grime, or residue. Use a mild, non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth.
- Assess the Condition: Examine the countertop's condition. If there are minor scratches, dull spots, or stains, you might be able to address these issues without a full refinishing process.
- Spot Treatment: For minor scratches or stains, you can try using a fine-grit sandpaper or a scrubbing pad to gently buff the affected area. Always test in an inconspicuous spot first.
- Reapply Finish: If your Paperstone countertop has a protective finish that has worn off, you might consider reapplying a compatible finish. Osmo Top Oil is the best finish for Paperstone.
- Avoid Harsh Chemicals: When refinishing, avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that could damage the surface or degrade the resin.
- Consult Professionals: If the countertop has significant damage or if you're unsure about how to proceed, consider consulting professionals who have experience with Paperstone surfaces.
Remember that each refinishing project can be unique based on the countertop's condition and the desired outcome. It's always a good idea to consult the manufacturer's guidelines or seek advice from experts to ensure you're using the appropriate methods and products for your specific Paperstone countertop.
Designer Series and Solid
Paperstone offers two main product lines: Paperstone Solid and Paperstone Designer Series. Please note that there might have been developments or changes since then. Here's a general overview of the differences between these two product lines:
- Paperstone Solid:
- Composition: Paperstone Solid is made from a combination of 100% post-consumer recycled paper and a proprietary, petroleum-free resin.
- Appearance: Paperstone Solid typically features a more uniform color and texture, often showcasing a subtle, natural look with earthy tones. It has a distinctive matte finish.
- Eco-Friendly: This product line emphasizes sustainability through its use of recycled materials and non-petroleum-based resin.
- Applications: Paperstone Solid is suitable for a wide range of applications, including countertops, tabletops, cabinetry, and more.
- Composition: The Designer Series retains the core composition of recycled paper and petroleum-free resin but introduces additional design elements.
- Appearance: This series may offer more varied color options, patterns, and textures than the Solid line. It's designed to provide enhanced aesthetic choices for design-forward projects.
- Aesthetic Variety: The Designer Series aims to cater to diverse design preferences, allowing for more customization and creative expression in spaces.
- Applications: Like Paperstone Solid, the Designer Series can be used for countertops, surfaces, and other interior applications, especially where design customization is desired.
When choosing between Paperstone Solid and Designer Series, consider factors such as your design preferences, the specific aesthetic you're aiming for, and the intended application of the material. If you're considering either of these product lines, I recommend checking Paperstone's official website or contacting their customer support to get the most up-to-date information about their features, availability, and any recent additions to their product offerings.
Where to buy Paperstone
Here at Greenworks Supply Co. we have been selling Paperstone in Western Canada since 2006. We have two showrooms one in Burnaby, B.C. and one in Vancouver B.C. where we have samples and countertop installations. We also have an online store and ship all over British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. We ship flat rate to depots for pick up and are happy to send samples right to your home. Check out our full selection here